Access Ministry for the Disability Community
Access began in 1996 with a Sunday school class of four children diagnosed with various disabilities who were not able to attend typical classes. Since that time, God has blessed us to be able to serve hundreds of individuals and families impacted by disabilities across the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
Access has created a short video in celebration of our ten-year anniversary in 2007. To view this heartwarming sample of Access Ministry's programming, please click here.
Access currently provides the following ministry programs:
Access Moms' Small Group- An incredible experience of understanding God's word and having a community that understands the world in which you live; this group meets weekly on Thursdays during the school year.
Accessibility Summit - A national conference for the disability community that brings together people with disabilities, Churches, and community organizations.
Adults with Disabilities Day Program (A.D.D.P.) - A program for young adults with developmental delays, who have graduated high school.
- Beautiful Blessings - Bible school classes for children with special needs each Saturday evening and Sunday.
Community Lecture Series- Sessions taught during the school year by community professionals for parents of children and adults with special needs.
Friendship Club - An adult-with-developmental-delays community with weekly Bible classes, worship together on Sunday mornings, monthly social outings, a summer VBS series, and an adult day program.
Monthly Parents' Support Group - An opportunity for parents of children and adults with special needs to connect the last Sunday of every month.
Signs of Life Deaf Community - A group for those who are Deaf or hard of hearing; SOL also provides interpreting services Churchwide at MBC.
- Soaring Over Seven Summer Camp - A four-week summer adventure camp for children with special needs in the Washington, D.C., area each July.
- Family Events - Annual Access family picnic, annual Access Christmas party, Moms' Night Out, and Dad Days.
Access has been further blessed to serve others in the development and enhancement of disability ministries within their own communities. We invite you to take a look at Access, our many programs and upcoming events, and join us as we seek to make a lasting impact on the disability community of Washington, D.C., by serving the Lord's children and adults with special needs.
The vision of McLean Bible Church is to make an impact on secular Washington with the message of Jesus Christ. Access Ministry is dedicated to making a lasting impact on the disability community with the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
Access Ministry Core Values:
- People of all abilities matter to God and to us.
- We will have an evangelistic impact on the disability community through proactive outreach.
- We will make the gospel message of Jesus Christ accessible to people of all abilities.
- Our goal is to equip people with disabilities and their families in becoming full participants and contributors in the Body of Christ and their community.
- Everything we do for Christ will be done with excellence.
Questions for Access? Please contact Jackie Mills-Fernald at 703-770-2942.