Imagine you are preparing to attend your local church. You envision your family becoming involved only to discover your family is not welcome in your House of God. How can this be? For many of the 54 million persons with disabilities in the United States, this is reality. Most churches do not embrace those impacted by physical, emotional or intellectual disabilities.
1 in 5 persons has a disability in the United States. The question then is...what do we need to do to remove the existing barriers permitting access for all to God and His love?
Watch this video series to learn the heartfelt needs of families impacted by disability, what their lives are like on a daily basis, and how we as church leaders and laypersons can reach out and develop programs that include all God’s people.
Click on A Message to Pastors to watch the first in this three-part series.
Browse through our other resources:
- Welcome to Our World, A Message to Pastors
- Press On, A Message for Parents
- Videos for Children's Ministry Workers
- Downloadable Materials
Access Ministry has created various downloadable materials that may be used as training resources for getting your disability ministry started or refined. Please click the titles below to open them in PDF format.
- 20 Ways to Calm A Child
- Access Ministry's "Differently Abled" booklet
- Including Persons with Autism in the Life of the Church
- Keys to Setting Up A Specialized Classroom
- Making Changes That Lead to Real Inclusion
- Sib Talk
- Special Families...A Casserole's Not Enough
- Starting A Special Needs Ministry in Your Church
- The Soul Needs Nurture from Cradle to Grave
- The Top Ten Things
- Understanding Autism
- Welcoming Those with Special Needs
- 2015 Fall/Winter
- 2015 Spring/Summer
- 2014 Fall/Winter
- 2014 Spring/Summer
- 2013 Fall/Winter
- 2013 Spring/Summer
- 2012 Fall/Winter
- 2012 Spring/Summer
- 2011 Fall/Winter
- 2011 Spring/Summer