Respite is Access Ministry's fun program for children with special needs aged 2-15. Friday night events are held from 6:30-10 pm and are open to typical siblings, as well, while Saturday events are only for those with disabilities. Activities include games, crafts, music, snacks, movies and much more, while enabling parents to enjoy much-needed breaks. Pediatric nurses are on site to administer medicines and handle pertinent medical issues. Respite is staffed by volunteers from McLean Bible Church and the community.
- Access children are only permitted to attend one event per month, regardless of the location.
- Access children are not permitted to attend back-to-back respites, i.e. Respite on Friday night and again the very next Saturday morning.
- To participate in any Access program, each child must have a current family profile and consent form on file, even if one was completed for summer camp.
- Due to food allergies/sensitivities, only the food items parents provide will be fed to your child(ren). Parents are asked to feed their child(ren) dinner prior to coming to Friday evening events and must provide a lunch and drink for Saturday events. During the evening, a snack time is scheduled; so, please provide an appropriate snack from home.
- Access is a peanut/nut-free environment. Please do not send your child(ren) with snacks or lunch that include peanut butter/nut products.
- Parents need to label all personal belongings with their child(ren)'s full name(s) (medicines, diaper bag, clothing, and food items). Medications MUST be in their original prescription packaging.
- Children should be dressed in comfortable clothes.
- Please note Respite dates are by reservation only. Saturday is a full-day program; therefore, partial-day reservations are not accepted.
- New families are required to obtain a new family packet, complete paperwork and attend an intake meeting prior to participating in respite programs.