At The Rock our goal is to see students become fully devoted followers of Christ through a four step process; EXPOSE students to the Gospel (Rom 1:16), EQUIP them to grow in their faith (2 Tim 3:16), CONNECT them to a community of believers (Rom 1:12), and CONTRIBUTE by serving God and others (Matt 20:28).
The Rock Tysons
The Rock is the student ministry for 6th-12th graders. Our ultimate goal at MBC Tysons is that each student becomes a fully devoted follower of Christ. To accomplish this, we have four steps for students to get involved.
"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..." Romans 1:1
The first step in our discipleship process is to EXPOSE students to the Gospel. Because of the power it has to transform a life, we are passionate about spreading the Good News of Christ to teens in the great Washington DC area. Several times throughout the year we put on exciting events that make it easy for students to invite their friends to come and have a great time, but more importantly, to hear and respond to the Gospel.
ANNUAL CAMPS: Winter Camps are in late January (for High School) and mid- February (for Middle School). Summer Camps are in late June (for High School) and early August (for Middle School)
- High School Winter Camp: January 25-27, 2019- NorthBay Adventure Camp, North East, MD
- Middle School Winter Camp: February 8-10, 2019- Rockbridge Alum Springs, Goshen, VA
"All Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training up in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17
The second step in our discipleship process takes place at our Sunday morning services where we EQUIP students to grown in their faith through weekly preaching of the Word. Information on our services for Junior High and High School listed below.
Middle School Services (6th-8th Grade): 9:00 am and 11:00 am in the Rock Gym. A typical Sunday includes:
- Hang Out Time: Students who show up a few minutes early can mingle with other students, leaders, and get a chance to play group games
- Worship: Our service usually starts with 2 worship songs
- Games: We typically play games in which are grades compete against each other and offer prizes for the winners!
- Message: We will have a 20-25 minute message geared towards helping our junior high students grow and deepen their faith.
High School (9th-12th Grade):
- Main Worship: High school students attend a main worship service with family members or friends.
- Serve: High school students are encouraged to serve in some capacity within the body of the church. For more information on service opportunities, contact Leah Buller at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Gathering: High School students meet in the Rock Lounge for a Bible Study and prayer time during the 9:00 or 11:00 AM services. The Gathering starts September 9.
High School students will now be baptized in the main services. More information on the process and upcoming dates can be found on the baptisms page. Questions about high school student baptisms? Contact Leah Buller at email@example.com. The next baptism for Middle School students will take place October 21.
"...that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." Romans 1:12
The third step in our discipleship process is to CONNECT students to a small group. There are three main benefits a student will get by connecting to a small group. First, they will connect with other students and prayerfully created Godly, long lasting friendships. Secondly, they will accountability from their small group leader who's trained to be intentional in following up each student and answering their questions. Thirdly, students will get involved in a deeper study of the Bible as they read, discuss and apply the Scriptures to their lives.
- WHO: 6th-12th graders (groups are divided by grade and gender)
- WHERE: MBC Tysons Campus
- WHEN: 7-8:30 p.m.
Fall 2018 Small Group Schedule
Sep 5- WAKE Back to School Night
Sep 12- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Sep 19- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Sep 26- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Oct 3- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Oct 10- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Oct 17- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Oct 24- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Oct 31- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Nov 7- WAKE
Nov 14- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Nov 21- Thanksgiving, No Small Groups
Nov 28- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Dec 5- Middle School and High School Small Groups
Dec 12- Last Small Groups for Fall Semester
Join us for our High School Summer Nights Bible Study!
This summer we’re excited about an opportunity for students called, “Summer Nights.” Every Sunday night this summer, we’ll have dinner and Bible study for High School students only. This will be a great chance for students to connect and have time in the Word with peers. It will take place in the Rock Gym every Sunday until August 26th from 5pm – 7pm. See you there!
The last step in The Rock discipleship process is for students to CONTRIBUTE what they have learned by serving God and others. There are a few ways this happens; one time local service events, student leadership, and missions trips. Please see info for each below:
- Local service opportunities: Click here
- Student Leadership: Middle School and High School have student leadership teams which meet monthly to learn and serve together. For info about Middle School, please contact Chris Suarez. For info about High School, please contact Caleb Moore.
- Missions Trips: Local and international trips in the summer months
Meeting Date & Time
Pastor of Family Ministries
DJ came on staff in 2008. He graduated from Liberty University where he met his wife Jessica. DJ was going to be a State Police Officer before God led him to MBC. He has a desire to see people worship God through music and personal holiness. DJ grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Christiansburg, VA where his family still lives. He loves the outdoors and spends as much time as he can hunting, fishing, shooting, kayaking, hiking, playing soccer, and anything else he can find to do outside. His is also a diehard Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh Steelers football fan. He loves Special K, Chick-fil-a, the history channel, and bon fires. His life verse is Colossians 1:28, 29.