At The ROCK our goal is to see students become fully devoted followers of Christ through a four step process; EXPOSE students to the Gospel (Rom 1:16), EQUIP them to grow in their faith (2 Tim 3:16), CONNECT them to a community of believers (Rom 1:12), and CONTRIBUTE by serving God and others (Matt 20:28).
The Rock Tysons
The Rock is the student ministry for 6th-12th graders. Our ultimate goal at MBC Tysons is that each student becomes a fully devoted follower of Christ. To accomplish this, we have four steps for students to get involved.
"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..." Romans 1:1
The first step in our discipleship process is to EXPOSE students to the Gospel. Because of the power it has to transform a life, we are passionate about spreading the Good News of Christ to teens in the great Washington DC area. Several times throughout the year we put on exciting events that make it easy for students to invite their friends to come and have a great time, but more importantly, to hear and respond to the Gospel.
ANNUAL CAMPS: Winter Camps are in late January (for Senior High) and late February (for Junior High). Summer Camps are in late June (for Senior High) and early August (for Junior High)
"All Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training up in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17
The second step in our discipleship process takes place at our Sunday morning services where we EQUIP students to grown in their faith through weekly preaching of the Word. Information on our Junior High and Senior High services below.
Junior High Services (6th-8th Grade): 9:00 am and 10:45 am in Community Room C. A typical Sunday includes:
- Hang Out Time: Students who show up a few minutes early can mingle with other students, leaders, and get a chance to play gaga ball
- Worship: Our service usually starts with 2 worship songs
- Games: We typically play games in which are grades compete against each other and offer prizes for the winners!
- Message: We will have a 20-25 minute message geared towards helping our junior high students grow and deepen their faith. Our current series is on Romans.
Senior High Services (9th-12th Grade): 10:45 am in The Rock Gym. A typical Sunday includes:
- Hang Out Time: Students who show up a few minutes early can mingle with other students and leaders, grab a coffee and enjoy some music
- Worship: Our service usually starts with 2-3 worship songs
- Message: Theater style seating. We will have a 25-30 minute “sermon style” message geared towards helping students in their faith journey while staying very relevant to their world. Our current series is on Romans.
"...that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." Romans 1:12
The third step in our discipleship process is to CONNECT students to a small group. There are three main benefits a student will get by connecting to a small group. First, they will connect with other students and prayerfully created Godly, long lasting friendships. Secondly, they will accountability from their small group leader who's trained to be intentional in following up each student and answering their questions. Thirdly, students will get involved in a deeper study of the Bible as they read, discuss and apply the Scriptures to their lives. Junior High and Senior High small groups meet on Wednesday nights throughout the year. Fall schedule coming soon.
The last step in The Rock discipleship process is for students to CONTRIBUTE what they have learned by serving God and others. There are a few ways this happens; one time local service events, student leadership, and missions trips. Please see info for each below:
- Local service opportunities: Saturdays with Serve DMV
- Student Leadership: Junior High and Senior High have student leadership teams which meet monthly to learn and serve together. For info about Junior High, please contact Chris Suarez. For info about Senior High, please contact Caleb Moore.
- Missions Trips: Local and international trips in the summer months
Meeting Date & Time
Pastor, Student Ministries
DJ came on staff in 2008. He graduated from Liberty University where he met his wife Jessica. DJ was going to be a State Police Officer before God led him to MBC. He has a desire to see people worship God through music and personal holiness. DJ grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Christiansburg, VA where his family still lives. He loves the outdoors and spends as much time as he can hunting, fishing, shooting, kayaking, hiking, playing soccer, and anything else he can find to do outside. His is also a diehard Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh Steelers football fan. He loves Special K, Chick-fil-a, the history channel, and bon fires. His life verse is Colossians 1:28, 29.