At The Rock our goal is to see students become fully devoted followers of Christ through a four step process; EXPOSE students to the Gospel (Rom 1:16), EQUIP them to grow in their faith (2 Tim 3:16), CONNECT them to a community of believers (Rom 1:12), and CONTRIBUTE by serving God and others (Matt 20:28).
The Rock Tysons
The Rock is the student ministry for 6th-12th graders. Our ultimate goal at MBC Tysons is that each student becomes a fully devoted follower of Christ. To accomplish this, we have four steps for students to get involved.
"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..." Romans 1:1
The first step in our discipleship process is to EXPOSE students to the Gospel. Because of the power it has to transform a life, we are passionate about spreading the Good News of Christ to teens in the great Washington DC area. Several times throughout the year we put on exciting events that make it easy for students to invite their friends to come and have a great time, but more importantly, to hear and respond to the Gospel.
ANNUAL CAMPS: Winter Camps are in late January (for Senior High) and late February (for Junior High). Summer Camps are in late June (for Senior High) and early August (for Junior High)
- High School Summer Camp. Bay Watch Resort, North Myrtle Beach, SC. June 18-22, 2018.
- Junior High Summer Camp. NorthBay Adventure Camp, North East, MD. August 2-5, 2018.
"All Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training up in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17
The second step in our discipleship process takes place at our Sunday morning services where we EQUIP students to grown in their faith through weekly preaching of the Word. Information on our services for Junior High and High School listed below.
Junior High Services (6th-8th Grade): 9:00 am and 11:00 am in the Rock Gym. A typical Sunday includes:
- Hang Out Time: Students who show up a few minutes early can mingle with other students, leaders, and get a chance to play group games
- Worship: Our service usually starts with 2 worship songs
- Games: We typically play games in which are grades compete against each other and offer prizes for the winners!
- Message: We will have a 20-25 minute message geared towards helping our junior high students grow and deepen their faith.
High School (9th-12th Grade):
- Main Worship: High school students attend a main worship service with family members or friends.
- Serve: High school students are encouraged to serve in some capacity within the body of the church. Join us at 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., or 12:30 p.m. for HS SRV Huddles before going out into the body to volunteer. For more information on service opportunities, contact Leah Buller at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming 2018 Junior High Baptism Dates: April 15 (class on April 8 at 9:00 am in Rock Lounge). You must apply BEFORE attending the class. Apply online by Saturday, April 7. For more information on Junior High Baptisms, click here.
High School students will now be baptized in the main services. More information on the process and upcoming dates can be found on the baptisms page. Questions about high school student baptisms? Contact Leah Buller at email@example.com.
"...that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." Romans 1:12
The third step in our discipleship process is to CONNECT students to a small group. There are three main benefits a student will get by connecting to a small group. First, they will connect with other students and prayerfully created Godly, long lasting friendships. Secondly, they will accountability from their small group leader who's trained to be intentional in following up each student and answering their questions. Thirdly, students will get involved in a deeper study of the Bible as they read, discuss and apply the Scriptures to their lives.
- WHO: 6th-12th graders (groups are divided by grade and gender)
- WHERE: MBC Tysons Campus
- WHEN: 7-8:30 p.m. this Spring
WEDNESDAY NIGHT SPRING SCHEDULE
- January 10
- January 17
- January 24
- January 31
- February 7- WAKE*
- February 14
- February 21
- February 28
- March 7- WAKE*
- March 14
- March 21- CANCELED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
- March 28 - NO SMALL GROUPS FOR JH, HS STILL MEETS
- April 4- WAKE*
- April 11
- April 18
- April 25
- May 2- WAKE*
- May 9
- May 16
- May 23
- May 30
- June 6- WAKE
- June 13- Last small groups of semester
*WAKE isn't meant to be another event, but a place students can experience Jesus and connect with others. Join us from 6:30 - 7:15 pre program and then the program will be from 7:15 - 8:30 p.m. at the Tysons campus. More info coming soon!
The last step in The Rock discipleship process is for students to CONTRIBUTE what they have learned by serving God and others. There are a few ways this happens; one time local service events, student leadership, and missions trips. Please see info for each below:
- Local service opportunities: Click here
- Student Leadership: Junior High and High School have student leadership teams which meet monthly to learn and serve together. For info about Junior High, please contact Chris Suarez. For info about High School, please contact Caleb Moore.
- Missions Trips: Local and international trips in the summer months
Meeting Date & Time
Pastor of Family Ministries
DJ came on staff in 2008. He graduated from Liberty University where he met his wife Jessica. DJ was going to be a State Police Officer before God led him to MBC. He has a desire to see people worship God through music and personal holiness. DJ grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Christiansburg, VA where his family still lives. He loves the outdoors and spends as much time as he can hunting, fishing, shooting, kayaking, hiking, playing soccer, and anything else he can find to do outside. His is also a diehard Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh Steelers football fan. He loves Special K, Chick-fil-a, the history channel, and bon fires. His life verse is Colossians 1:28, 29.