Our mission is to impact children and their families in Arlington with the message of Jesus Christ through engaging and encouraging mentorship.
As servants of Jesus Christ, we aim to reflect Christ’s love for children. We do so by providing mentorship opportunities that encourage youth to discover and develop their interests and abilities. By caring for local children and their families, our purpose is also to strengthen and nurture Arlington neighborhoods. We are a ministry of McLean Bible Church, whose vision is to make an impact on secular Washington with the message of Jesus Christ. We believe that the Bible is inerrant and infallible and look to it as the basis of what we believe as a church.
TEN:14 uses a mentoring model. This begins when a mentee, ages 6 to 18, is paired with a mentor of the same sex.
The first 2 meetings will take place in the mentee's home so that the mentor can get to know the family.
When conducting activities outside the home, two mentor pairs will join together to carry out mentoring activities. This ensures a mentee is never alone with a mentor. It will also help facilitate greater interaction and make sports and games more feasible.
As a parent you can expect that your child will…
- Learn more about Jesus Christ
- Gain a positive role model
- Have the opportunity to participate in fun and engaging activities outside the home
- Have no cost or financial obligation to participate
As a mentee you can expect to…
- Learn more about Jesus Christ
- Participate in fun enrichment activities, which may include reading, homework help, games, sports, and going to museums, among many other activities.
- Gain a new friend
As a mentor you can expect to…
- Share the gospel of Jesus
- Impact a child’s life in a positive way
- Have the opportunity to disciple a child
- Minimum 6 month commitment
- Meet with a mentee a minimum of 2 times per month
- Participate in organized mentor community building and training activities
- Communicate regularly with mentor relationship coach
The process to become a mentor is as follows:
- Submit application
Please note, we accept applications on a roling basis. Depending on where we are in processing applications, you should be notified of approval between 2 weeks and 2 months after your application is submitted.
After you submit your application, you will be emailed a confirmation and a request to complete a "consent for a background check." You will be required to log-in to your MBC portal. If you do not already have a username and password, please create one.
- Application will be reviewed by TEN:14 leadership team
- TEN:14 leadership team will contact your reference(s)
- TEN:14 will send you an email to let you know if your application has been accepted or declined.
- If accepted, you will be required to attend a mentor training
- During the training, you will need to be sure to submit your fingerprint card and a signed copy of both the TEN:14 Policies and Procedures and the MBC Child Protection Guidelines.
- Once the TEN:14 leadership team has received your fingerprint cards and signed paperwork, you will be assigned a mentee.
- Start mentoring! (we can help with an initial introduction to the mentee and their family). Be sure to follow the instructions for your "first meetings" found in your TEN:14 Mentor Training Guide.
The process to become an approved driver for MBC is as follows:
- Email a copy of your auto insurance to Gwen Pribish.
- Download and complete the MBC Driver Approval Form.
- Email the completed MBC Driver Approval Form it to Deb Stone.
- Attend a MBC Driver Training Course. Click hear for the schedule of upcoming classes and to RSVP for one.
All classes are held at 11 am at MBC Tysons.
- If you are approved, you will receive notification from a MBC staff member.
by Rosie Pinkerman, MBC Tysons (includes Student Milestones, Helping Kids Learn to Pray, and How to Lead a Child To Christ)
Cross Cultural Ministry Training
by Eric Saunders, (From November 1, 2015)
(click on words above to be taken to a page with a list of various options)
TEN:14 Ministry in Pictures